Everyone who is everyone in World of Warcraft has done those 5 man dungeons, and there aren't a whole lot of people who haven't done the Icecrown Citadel at this point, however most of the optional achievements escaped me back during Wrath of the Lich King's final chapter: Fall of the Lich King.
I pondered going back during Catacylsm, but really my wife and I quit that. My shining chance came at level 90 and what stood in my way? GUNSHIP BATTLE! Well in a recent patch they FIXED the gunship battle: You can now solo it and that is exactly what I did!
After effortlessly killing the first two bosses I died once before figuring out the details of the Gunship Battle. Here's how to solo it:
- BEFORE YOU GET STUCK IN COMBAT: talk to the goblin equip a jetpack he gives you. Once you enter combat you can not do this.
- Get in the turret and shoot the enemy gunship to damage it.
- When the portal opens immediately get out and kill 3-4 adds.
- As soon as the final add dies, use the jetpack to fly to the enemy ship and kill the mage in the middle who is channeling the frost on the turrets. (it's okay if the portal is still open, as long as you dealt with the adds that were on your ship, when untanked they deal massive damage to your ship).
- Jetpack back and get in the Turret to continue dealing damage to the enemy ship.
- When a portal opens, get out and kill the 3-4 adds again and repeat the process until the enemy gunship is defeated.
- Walk up to the treasure chest at the front of the airship and loot it. (This is why they call it the LOOTSHIP, once you've gotten this simple, simple pattern down you can deal with it easily every time)
For Deathbringer Saurfang I had to0 go into Blood Spec and outheal his damage. After that I went on to solo the the plagueworks with no issues.
The wall I hit however was named Valithria Dreamwalker. A green dragon. While attempting to earn the Portal Jockey achievement I quickly remembered the premise of this fight: YOU HAD TO HEAL THE DRAGON TO FULL, no boss to kill, just an infinite flow of adds to kill until you do it.
This can NOT be solo'd by a Death Knight in any way shape or form as far as I know. If I'm wrong, feel free to comment below and tell me how.
The Devs seem to be in favor of players soloing old raids, we'll see if they fix this little wall or not... only time will tell.